[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing inLiveTV.....

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Sat Sep 10 18:23:19 UTC 2005

On Sat 10 September 2005 18:07, Tom E. Craddock Jr. wrote:
> But as you said, neither MythTV, not Tivo, and I can say for a fact,
> neither does the DVR/PVR from Scientific Atlantic follow the model your
> wife use to have and you son has.  To me this shows that the
> fault/problem/need for change doesnt come from all DVR/PVRs mentioned,
> but from the user. Their natural model goes against what is, for all
> intents and purposes, the model that has been adopted by most
> hardware/software in the industry.  Why keep re-inforcing an idea that
> is counter-current to the 'standard'?

So the machines should dictate our behaviour and not the other way around? ;)

I can see both points of view on this matter, but what is most important is
the user. The software was written for the convenience of the user and should
reflect that. Functionality should never come at the expense of pre-existing
usability. In this case the functionality of pause/rewind against the speed
of changing a channel on TVs for the last 30 years.

As long as there is a significant time delay when using buffering Myth needs
to include both buffered and non-buffered Live-TV modes. The only question
should be who has the time and desire to do the necessary work?
--
Stuart Morgan