[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing in LiveTV.....

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Sep 8 14:28:49 UTC 2005

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>

>>     Again, I think that for the most part this is largely
>> unnecessary. Lots of work for minimal gain.  Once one truly accepts
>> the PVR method of watching TV, "LiveTV" becomes unnecessary and
>> undesired.
>

> That's a fallacy.  Don't fall into the trap of thinking that everyone
> uses a PVR the same way you do.  Live TV doesn't go away for a large
> number of users.

But with Browse mode, LiveTV "channel surfing" is pretty much
unnecessary.  The original complaint was because it takes time to switch
channels.  You don't need to switch channels to know what is on a given
channel so when you do find one that is interesting, the 2 seconds it
takes to change to that channel is far less of a problem than eating
that 2 seconds with every change without browse mode.

Kevin