[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing in LiveTV.....

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Thu Sep 8 14:15:48 UTC 2005

Peter Lee wrote:

>On 9/8/05, J. Donavan Stanley <jdonavan at jdonavan.net> wrote:
>

>>Nor would any of the developers.  It's a PVR, that implies buffering.
>>

>I agree.  Not sure that all of the other users in my house agree, though.

Then they would be wrong.  :-p  Seriously, name a  PVR that DOESN'T buffer.

>>We've had a PVR since the first Tivos hit the shelves we still use live
>>tv.  We don't *want* to record everything.  Sometimes we like to sit
>>down and discover something new.
>>

>Yes, exactly.  What this implies, at least for some users, is that it
>is not useful to be always recording everything when all one wants to
>do is "sit down and discover something new".  So why not have a mode
>that avoids the overhead of recording in this case?

Even when sitting down to discover something new one still wants the
ability to pause / rewind live TV.  I guarantee you that users will
bitch that they couldn't rewind something when they had to walk away for
a second during live TV or that they missed .25 seconds of video when
they paused because it wasn't recording.

>>When I'm using my Myth box I expect it to perform at LEAST as well as my
>>Tivo did years ago.  What you're proposing is a HUGE step back in
>>functionality.  One of the major features of a PVR is the ability to
>>rewind live tv.
>>

>And I agree with you again.  But I am asserting that there are other
>users who wouldn't miss the ability to rewind live TV during
>channel-surfing, and furthermore wouldn't mind having to hit a record
>button on the remote control in order to "turn on" the PVR

Then they can write the code...