[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing in LiveTV.....

Peter Lee peteratcmu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:30:58 UTC 2005

On 9/8/05, J. Donavan Stanley <jdonavan at jdonavan.net> wrote:

> Nor would any of the developers.  It's a PVR, that implies buffering.

I agree.  Not sure that all of the other users in my house agree, though.

> We've had a PVR since the first Tivos hit the shelves we still use live
> tv.  We don't *want* to record everything.  Sometimes we like to sit
> down and discover something new.

Yes, exactly.  What this implies, at least for some users, is that it
is not useful to be always recording everything when all one wants to
do is "sit down and discover something new".  So why not have a mode
that avoids the overhead of recording in this case?

Note that we also have a first-generation Tivo in our house (only
recently decommissioned), and I always thought that the Tivo also
should have had a non-recording (aka channel-surfing) live TV mode...

> When I'm using my Myth box I expect it to perform at LEAST as well as my
> Tivo did years ago.  What you're proposing is a HUGE step back in
> functionality.  One of the major features of a PVR is the ability to
> rewind live tv.

And I agree with you again.  But I am asserting that there are other
users who wouldn't miss the ability to rewind live TV during
channel-surfing, and furthermore wouldn't mind having to hit a record
button on the remote control in order to "turn on" the PVR
functionality.

Peter