[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing in LiveTV.....

Peter Lee peteratcmu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:53:03 UTC 2005

On 9/8/05, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Peter Lee wrote:
>
> >I've posted this idea before, but I'll post it again: It seems to me a
> >reasonable idea to have a live TV mode (or an option for a live TV
> >mode) that doesn't provide any PVR functionality (and therefore
> >doesn't have a ring buffer, etc).  Sure you won't be able to pause or
> >rewind, but hey, if you insist on live TV surfing, that's what you
> >get.
> >

> You can already do this.  Use a EXEC_TV menu option to launch the TV
> program of your choice and voila!, you have a non-recording TV watching
> feature.

I'm starting to feel bad about littering the developers list with so
many messages on this topic, since I'm fairly certain the issue is not
all that important, but...

The idea to use an EXEC_TV to launch live TV works fine, except that
it lacks (I think) the feature to start recording whatever you're
watching when you hit the record button.  Also, what happens when the
backend wants to grab the tuner?

Peter