[mythtv] Develop new plugin, HOW??

Carl Reynolds mythtv-dev at hyperbole-software.com
Thu Sep 8 01:06:35 UTC 2005

Barvaz Zan wrote:

> I'm very intersted in developing my own addons to MythTV.
> How can I write new Plugins?

Get a copy of  mythplugins-0.18.1.tar.bz2 from
http://mythtv.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=125.

Look at the source for mythdvd. In the file main.cpp you'll see there
are three functions declared extern "C" { }. They are 'mythplugin_init',
'mythplugin_run', and' mythplugin_config'. These are the entry points
that MythTV uses to connect to any plugin. mythdvd is probably a good
example to start with. You'll see that it calls other functions within
the main to implement the dvd plugin, but that it starts with above
three functions.

Figure out what you want to do in your plugin, and start writing the
init, run and config functions using mythdvd as an example. Once you
have compiled the plugin, as a dynamically loaded library (for example,
libmythdvd.so) copy it to the mythtv/plugins directory. On my machine
it's /usr/local/lib/mythtv/plugins. It may be somewhere else such as
/usr/lib/mythtv/plugins on your machine.

You should now be able to connect to your plugin through a menu item,
for example.

Carl.