[mythtv] HD-3000 and changes from 18.1 to SVN

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Fri Oct 28 20:21:56 UTC 2005

Chris Dos wrote:

> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 09:29 -0600, Chris Dos wrote:
>>
>>> Tried the various settings.  Using the Extra Audio Buffering option
>>> causes a blue screen to be displayed when trying to watch HD.
>>

>> Aha!
>>
>> I don't think anyone has been able to get HDTV working without
>> "Extra Audio Buffering". You have to try another soundcard...
>

> I installed the Audigy card.  Configured Myth to use it via
> ALSA:default and /dev/dsp.  Upgraded to 7611 and that fixed the blue
> screen problem when turning on the "Extra audio buffering" option.
>
> If I turn on "Extra audio buffering" and "Use video as a timebase" I
> get a little video and audio blip every 5-10 seconds.  It's like it
> looses 1-2 frames and has to adjust during the blip.  Kinda annoying.
>
> If I just have "Extra audio buffering" enabled, it will play perfect
> for about 8-10 seconds and then start giving me small stutters.  I
> think it might be running out of buffers in this case.  If I have the
> "Extra audio buffering" turned off, it stutters really bad.  Is there
> a way to increase the size of the buffers?
>
> I'm still at a complete loss why 18.1 played perfectly well on my
> hardware and current SVN is having problems.  But that is what we are
> trying to figure out.

I'd just like to chime in and say that I too see this on one of my
frontends. It was a P3 666 (or thereabouts) that had no problems with
playing anything I had (all SDTV), until about a month or so ago (I
know, not a very specific time) it started having the same problems.
I've played with different settings (XvMC, libmpeg2, etc) de-interlace,
don't de-interlace, etc. I even upgraded to GigE and a 1GHz processor,
and if anything, it's worse. WAF is taking a beating, since this is the
one she uses most often. I am always on current SVN, give or take a few
days. I'll try different combo's of buffering, just to see if there is a
difference there.

Tom