[mythtv] New mythgallery gl transition patch (zooming blend)

Mark Dobossy mdobossy at Princeton.EDU
Thu Oct 20 02:31:34 UTC 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> Mark Dobossy wrote:
>
>> If any mythgallery users out there could please give my patch a
>> whirl, and give some feedback, I'd appreciate it.  It is simply a
>> modified version of the blend (gl) transition, that zooms/fades
>> out  the previous picture, as the new picture fades in.  The patch
>> file  adds the new transition- it will be in the mythgallery
>> settings, and  is called "zoom blend (gl)".  The patch is attached
>> to ticket #490:  http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/490 .  Any
>> feedback would be great!
>>

> Not currently up-to-date with mythgallery or myth generally with
> the latest svn versions so can't give feedback but this is the best
> blend ever invented.
>
> If you want to give it it's proper name, I think it is called the
> "Ken Burns Effect"...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns#Ken_Burns_Effect
>
> Probably worth editing the wiki to say MythTV will have it by v
> 0.19 :)

Colin-

It is actually a bit different from Ken Burns.  Ken Burns Effect is
typically used to pan/zoom an image to make it look dynamic, as you
are viewing the image (zoom in/out of a point of interest).  This is
simply a zoom/fade (the original blows up, and fades away, revealing
the new image behind it).

But funny you bring up Ken Burns Effect.  I put together a little
sample OGL program this morning, that does just this, and am planning
on trying to implement it in mythgallery.  It would work as follows-
you use the myth gallery zoom/pan options, to select a starting and
ending point for each picture.  Then, as the slide show progresses,
it will pan/zoom the image over the time each image is on the
screen.  Any images that you haven't set a start and end to, would
have a randomized pan/zoom.

-Mark