[mythtv] tracking accumulated viewing time

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 16 04:14:26 UTC 2005

I'd like to implement a counter for viewing time, which the intent to
export this counter somehow for subsequent accumulation in an RRD
database ("how much TV did I watch last week?").

Seeing this information in the status XML would be nice, except that
it seems to be backend-only, unless it would be considered OK to stuff
per-frontend information in there as well.

A simple place to do this would be near all the various calls to
DisableScreensaver/RestoreScreensaver, but that seems error-prone and
fragile to future code changes.

A more natural place to do this might be
NuppelVideoPlayer::Play/Pause/destructor(?), but isn't Play() also
used for non-viewing tasks like commflagging? There are probably other
gotchas associated with attempting to do bookkeeping inside of
NuppelVideoPlayer.

Any other gotchas I should be thinking about?

Any suggestions for how/where to export this per-frontend activity
information? Maybe have the frontends dump their activity information
into the database, and let that get cleaned up by the Housekeeper?

--Rob