[mythtv] [exp. patch] 'Auto' Auto Delete V4

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Fri May 20 19:23:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 11:45 -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> I've put a new patch up here:
>   http://www.cuymedia.net/patches/
> It automates setting the threshold and frequency of AutoExpire.

I've updated this patch a bit. The settings UI is there now.
Internally, I'm also using the existing QUERY_FREESPACE, but I've
renamed it QUERY_FREE_SPACE because I've made it return kilobytes
instead of megabytes (better to break old slaves quickly). It also
doesn't try to sum freespace on different backends for reporting
on the status page, for that I've added a separate
QUERY_FREE_SPACE_LIST which when called on the master backend
returns the space on other backends along with their hostnames.
This lets a frontend report truer disk usage statistics to the user.

In the settings UI I've removed the things that no longer apply,
and I've added the two new settings "AutoExpireEnabled", and
"AutoExpireExtraSpace". I've also removed the settings for
"AutoExpireMethod", "MinRecordDiskThreshold", and
"RerecordAutoExpired". There is only one AutoExpireMethod
available, so until that is no longer true there is no reason
to show this to the user. The "MinRecordDiskThreshold" is not
needed when auto expire is enabled (as long as there are some
recordings available for deletion), and "AutoExpireExtraSpace"
has the same meaning when auto expire is not enabled. Finally,
I don't think anyone wants "RerecordAutoExpired" to be disabled.

With only two AutoExpire related settings I thought it made sense
to reorganise the "TV Settings"->General into three panels instead
of four. I've put the channel config and auto expire enabled
checkbox on the "General (Basic)" panel, the commercial flagging
and user job stuff on the "General (Jobs)" panel, and everything
else on the "General (Advanced)" panel. Except for preroll/postroll
I think most of the things on the advanced panel don't need to be
configured by most people.

-- Daniel