[mythtv] Re: Building

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon May 16 19:42:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 12:06:49PM -0700, Karsten Jeppesen wrote:

> Michael Tiller wrote:
>
> >To make these easy on myself initially, I followed Jarod Wilson's
> >guide for setting up MythTV for FC3.  Now though, I'd like to have the
> >ability to build from scratch.  One thing I couldn't figure out was
> >how to get the kernel sources as ATRPMS.  Is this possible?  It seems
> >like such an obvious thing but it was not clear to me what the exact
> >form of the apt-get command should be.  Are there any HOWTOs for
> >building MythTV from source?  I'm assuming it is mostly ./configure
> >type stuff but what, for example, are the dependencies?
>
> Since I am using YUM I am guessing here, but I assume that apt works the
> same way.
> Source rpms do not "provide" anything so they can't be gotten using apt,
> yum or the like.
> Log on to the repository and determine the URL of the srpm and then
> download and install using rpm itself. That is what I do.

Don't estimate the darks side of cow powers ;)

apt can download and install src.rpms for you, it can even determine
the BuildRequires and install them, too. Check out apt-get source and
apt-get build-dep in apt-get's man page.

The src.rpm repos are commented in the sources.list, so uncomment them
to be able to get the src.rpm.

Other than that for checking the kernel sources, just get the latest
src.rpm from Red Hat and rpm -ihv it.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net