[mythtv] Database schema problem

Buechler, Mark R Mark_R_Buechler at bausch.com
Thu May 12 17:57:08 UTC 2005

This generally happens if you have one or more frontends which are older
versions than the backend. This can easily be missed if you have for
instance a separate backend server from your frontend and after upgrading
your backend you forget to upgrade your frontend. Though the frontend may
work perfectly it may be changing the schema version in the database.

- Mark. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Risto Treksler [mailto:risto at elkhornbanff.ca] 
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 1:53 PM
To: Development of mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv] Database schema problem

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 11:42 pm, Mats Cedergren wrote:

i had the same error a few days ago
 i just used phpmyadmin to delete the offending table

after that there were about two more that i had to drop they didn't look
critical so i just went ahead and did it

or you could go into
mysql -uroot -ppassword mythconverg and do ALTER TABLE capturecard DROP
dvb_hw_decoder; ...etc.
if you are worried, you could always back up first and restore the data
afterwards for those columns

all this raises the question,
why couldn't the schema update just ignore existing columns, etc, perhaps
with a --force option somewhere


> Sometimes mythfrontend crashes on me with a segment fault error.
> There is nothing strange in this (since I use CVS version) but I get 
> an strange error after the crash.
> I get this message:
> 2005-05-11 23:30:12.550 New DB connection, total: 2
> 2005-05-11 23:30:12.559 Upgrading to schema version 1077
> 2005-05-11 23:30:12.617 New DB connection, total: 3
> 2005-05-11 23:30:12.630 Upgrading to schema version 1078
> 2005-05-11 23:30:12.648 Upgrading to schema version 1079
> 2005-05-11 23:30:12.649 DB Error (Performing database upgrade):
> Query was: ALTER TABLE capturecard ADD COLUMN dvb_hw_decoder INT 
> DEFAULT '0'; Error was: Driver error was [2/1060]:
> QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
> Database error was:
> Duplicate column name 'dvb_hw_decoder'
> new version: 1079
> 2005-05-11 23:30:12.649 Database Schema upgrade FAILED, unlocking.
> After I remove the the column dvb_hw_decoder and try to start again, I 
> get another error on two more columns and after that the frontend 
> starts without problem. If I shutdown the frontend via the menu, I 
> don't get the error.
> Does anybody have an suggestion/solution to this problem?
> /Mats

Risto Treksler
Elkhorn Lodge
Banff, Alberta, Canada
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev at mythtv.org


Please Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential, protected from disclosure, and/or intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering
this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, distribution, copying or other dissemination of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in
error, please immediately reply to the sender, delete the message and
destroy all copies of it.

Thank You

More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list