[mythtv] xmltv, mysql

Kammi Cazze kammicazze at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 16:34:43 UTC 2005

Hi,

i'm quite new to mythtv and this mailinglist, so maybe the questions i'm
gonna ask are already asked 100dred times. I tried to find some info about
it in the ml but didn't find any.

First of all ... i don't want to fork! ;)
And second ... you all do a great job here.

Now that is said, here are my questions.

1) One of the nicest features for me in mythtv over the other pvr projects,
is the mythbackend and different frontend structure. But my problem are the
X bindings for mythsetup to configure the mythbackend. I don't like to
install X on my big backend server. So here is my question: are there any
ideas or future plans to take out all the X bindings (qt stuff) to make an
x-less backend server?

2) I saw in the code that the xmltv stuff is hardcoded. Each time xmltv
stuff changes (like enabling, disabling tv grabbers between releases) some
of the mythtv grabbers will be broke or other grabbers won't be in the
mythtv release. Even if you write a grabber yourself, you should change the
code in mythtv and recompile. Any other solutions for this? Would it be
doable to detect wich version of xmltv is installed and dynamicaly load the
different grabbers for that realease? or import a grabber in the mythsetup
program?

3) Are there any plans to support other db's than mysql?

4) What do you think of the future of mythtv with software patents? If you
go to the mplayer site, you can already see how they would react! Maybe this
is something we should worry about when the facts are there, but a little
simmulation of worst case can never hurt.

Well, that's it for now. Hope i don't take to much time with it from you
devs to give me some answers back.

Regards,

kammicazze