[mythtv] Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Aran Cox spin667 at mchsi.com
Wed Mar 9 22:16:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 08:42:18AM +1100, William Uther wrote:
> b) Improve the autoexpire so that it gets things right.
>
> I read this as just a call to get b) right.
>
> I use the show limit function to actually limit the number of
> recordings (I only ever want one recording of the daily news).  I also
> use it as a rough 'autoexpire' tuner. (We get 3 Simpsons episodes a
> day.  I don't want a tide of Simpsons episodes causing all my other
> shows to auto-expire, so I set a show limit on it.)
>
> I really like Isaac's idea of using the original show priority.
>
> I wonder if a linear combination might work here.  When deleting, shows
> are ordered by:
>
> delete priority = weightA * time since recorded - weight2 * record
> priority + weight3 * watched_flag

This is the way I've always wanted it to work... I've always thought that
it could give a nod to the size of the file as well, but perhaps that
wouldn't be too popular.  Note: you don't need to add a watched flag
to improve auto-expire, just factor in the age and original record
prio with some reasonable weights.