[mythtv] Re: Channel Selection

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 2 01:07:10 UTC 2005

Quoting Nigel Pearson <nigel at ind.tansu.com.au>:
> 	Well, yes it is one-time only thing, but setting up
> MythTV (or migrating to a new version) is only done once!
> Anything to make it easier?

Easier is always better..

> (particularly for countries like Australia with 5 or 6 sets of freq.)

If you look at siscan.cpp I added a "Full Scan" for ATSC that stepped through
every frequency posibility, and attempted to get a lock and if channels were
found it would add them to the DB.. This worked quite well for ATSC since ATSC
has no NIT type table to know what other channels you should try to get..

John and I have talked about doing the same thing for DVB (mostly for you
aussies, but I think the Germans DVB-T implimentation also doesn't have a
compelte NIT).. The code in siscan for ATSCFullScan is very hard coded right
now, but it could be adapted for scaning DVB-T.. This all hinges on the
following:

Are all of the DVB-T settings (FEC Inner, FEC Outer, etc) the same per country?
John and I think they are.. If so you could chose a "full stepping scan" (maybe
named better) that would let you choose your country and it would know what the
settings should be and generate a master list to try to scan.. This would make
scaning a 1 step process for you guys..

Taylor