[mythtv] Re: New idea for storing recordings to disks

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Thu Jun 30 21:36:05 UTC 2005

BP <lists at qucae.com> writes:

> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>

>> ...which is kind of why I put forth the idea of 'slicing' the recordings
>> as they're in-progress (see my post earlier in this thread).  It allows
>> you to take full advantage of *all* of the space across multiple mount
>> points/devices, even though any one of them taken by itself may not
>> have enough space.  Without the ability to treat a collection of
>
> But one of the reasons why people were asking for multiple mount points
> was for not losing all their recordings if one drive croaked as can
> happen with LVM.  This 'slicing' idea does not resolve that issue and
> makes things very complicated.

That depends on the design. You can do things like naming the slices
of file foo,  foo.aa foo.ab foo.ac ... just like split does, so worst
case scenario, you can re-assemble them by hand.

If you have the playback code search for them, rather than have the
locations in a database, if a drive does go bad, hopefully you can
recover some of the slices stored on it, so you jut have to stick them
somewhere that myth searches.

You can even have the playback code do something gracefull, like just
skip over any missing bits if it can't find them, maybe pop up a
message telling you what its doing.

Still, it's probably overkill to deal with the (hopefully) rare
occaision of a disk filling up. Mind you, you could add net-wide
mirroring of slices to this scheme, if you had a mind.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571