[mythtv] Re: New idea for storing recordings to disks

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Jun 29 18:07:10 UTC 2005

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 12:02:04PM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>

>>On Wednesday 29 June 2005 11:31, Robert Tsai wrote:
>>

>>>Is your point that Myth should just not bother recording at all if it
>>>thinks it might run out of space?
>>>

>>Actually, my *original* original point was simply that having multiple
>>storage locations would *not* really make it much more difficult (just
>>a little bit) for Myth to determine whether there is enough space to
>>start a recording or where to record it.  Perhaps I didn't do a good
>>job of tying my original statements in to that conclusion... anyway,
>>we've drifted a bit off-topic...
>>

>But will the users understand that their recording died because one
>particular storage location filled up, even though the others still had
>space available?

Any user that would configure multiple locations would probably also be
well aware of the space concerns on ecah of them.  Also, I would expect
that shortly after any such recording location patch was comitted that
the feature to allow recording on available partitions vs. auto-expire
would be included.

Kevin