[mythtv] Re: New idea for storing recordings to disks

BP lists at qucae.com
Thu Jun 30 05:24:42 UTC 2005

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> ...which is kind of why I put forth the idea of 'slicing' the recordings
> as they're in-progress (see my post earlier in this thread).  It allows
> you to take full advantage of *all* of the space across multiple mount
> points/devices, even though any one of them taken by itself may not
> have enough space.  Without the ability to treat a collection of

But one of the reasons why people were asking for multiple mount points
was for not losing all their recordings if one drive croaked as can
happen with LVM.  This 'slicing' idea does not resolve that issue and
makes things very complicated.

Simple solution:  If the recorder runs out of space, the recorder exits.
 Scheduler sees the recorder exited, attempts to restart it.  The
recorder code checks the mount points for space, sees none free on
option one, tries option two.  Just like when you restart the backend in
the midst of a recording, you end up with two partial recordings of the
same show, both viewable.