[mythtv] multicast mpeg2 as an input (iptv discussion cont.)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 18 19:51:37 UTC 2005

Keith Irwin wrote:

> I actually wrote that last answer as a preemptive answer to the
> question that I thought was coming.  But having said that, I realized
> that the legality of mplayer, xine, ffmpeg, transcode, and a whole
> bunch of other stuff is pretty questionable in the US since they
> violate the software patents which we have in the US.  And more
> importantly, MythDVD relies on DeCSS, so that's probably not the
> answer.  So I withdraw my answer.  I was guessing, and I likely
> guessed wrong.

xine and MPlayer (and all other packages you mentioned) do not have
dependencies on deCSS.  In their default configurations, xine/MPlayer
can play /unencrypted/ DVD's and /neither/ can play encrypted DVD's.  A
user must explicitly install libdvdcss--*as a separate package*--to get
encrypted DVD decoding support.

(Oh, and MythDVD works just fine with MPlayer or xine on a system
without libdvdcss--it just won't allow you to play encrypted DVD's.  All
unencrypted DVD's--like the ones you're likely to make yourself--play
just fine.)

Mike