[mythtv] improving mythvideo

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Wed Jun 15 23:23:02 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 07:17 pm, George Nassas wrote:
> Hi all, I'm a happy user and minor tweaker of mythtv looking to give
> back to the community and improve my knowledge of the system. Something
> that has been irking me is how mythvideo shells out to an external
> program to play videos so I'd like to do something in this area.
>
> My initial thought was to adapt mythvideo to be a frontend for the xine
> library thereby having the myth keybindings apply for video playback.
> But, after a private conversation with J. Donavan Stanley it sounds
> like a better approach would be to broaden the internal video player to
> handle external videos.
>
> I think everyone agrees this is a good idea so I'm wondering why hasn't
> it been done before? Or, is someone currently working on this?

Mark Spieth's patch (which I really, really need to look over and apply) for
better seeking in non-mpeg2 files goes a long way towards this, actually.

The issue with using xinelib is that they've got a different version
libavcodec than what myth uses internally, and the symbols clash somethin
fierce.  Tends to make things break. =)

Isaac