[mythtv] improving mythvideo

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Jun 15 23:17:17 UTC 2005

Hi all, I'm a happy user and minor tweaker of mythtv looking to give
back to the community and improve my knowledge of the system. Something
that has been irking me is how mythvideo shells out to an external
program to play videos so I'd like to do something in this area.

My initial thought was to adapt mythvideo to be a frontend for the xine
library thereby having the myth keybindings apply for video playback.
But, after a private conversation with J. Donavan Stanley it sounds
like a better approach would be to broaden the internal video player to
handle external videos.

I think everyone agrees this is a good idea so I'm wondering why hasn't
it been done before? Or, is someone currently working on this?

- George