[mythtv] Re: Burning support

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Sat Jan 29 17:56:16 EST 2005

On Saturday 29 January 2005 04:28 pm, Alan Gonzalez wrote:

> Well, updating mfd to enable burning support isn't simple.  I am
> starting to understand how it works, but it's complicated.  I'm still
> trying to figure out which part actually gets the audio playlists and
> sends it.  Any help there would be great.  I found that metadataclient
> seems like an important piece, yet still trying to figure it all out.

 It helps to look at mfe as well (client). The metadata server in mfd speaks a
protocol called mdcap. It has a GET line, headers, and a payload (much like
HTTP). The payload is marked up binary that describes the content available
(using content codes and markup convetions from lidmdcap).

 But I think you're starting from the wrong end ... I think (?) you want to
build an mfd plugin, and that is already in the same application/memory space
as all the content and metadata. You'd need some sort of protocol for the
user to choose items, tell them about progress and so on (not unlike how the
mTd works now). Note that the mfe client (built with the mfd client lib)
already knows all the content/metadata available anywhere on the network.

 A lot of this will be quite moot until I can some more code committed (one
plugin that monitors video files on the hard drive, very similar to the music
plugin, and another one that can talk to a mythbackend and nows what content
it has). The first of these will be ready quite soon. The latter, well, it
may be a while ...