[mythtv] Re: Burning support

Alan Gonzalez alandgonzalez at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 16:28:56 EST 2005

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:05:47 -0500, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > A frontend would send a request for metadata from mfd and then select
> > > some shows to burn.  At this point it would send a request to the mfd
> > > where the video lives to start a transcoding/conversion process on the
> > > video and convert the video to a .iso.   Somehow we would get updated
> > > status from mfd on the state of conversion also.  Then this iso is
> > > streamed and to a mfd client where there is a dvd burner?
> >
> > Updated status like how the mtd does things now for dvd ripping status would
> > work.  And yeah, I imagine that's how it'd work - transcode wherever it's
> > stored, transfer it to a host with a burner, then burn it.  Or flip the first
> > two to transcode on the burning host.  I'd think ripping would work the same
> > way in reverse.

Well, updating mfd to enable burning support isn't simple.  I am
starting to understand how it works, but it's complicated.  I'm still
trying to figure out which part actually gets the audio playlists and
sends it.  Any help there would be great.  I found that metadataclient
seems like an important piece, yet still trying to figure it all out.

There aren't any video type functions in it yet.  Everything is audio
based right now.  So I believe I would be overloading some functions
to take videolist and such.

Also, is it going to be ok, if I update a myth interface to use the
mfd to get video information?  We would then be saying to people they
need to run mfd for burning support.