[mythtv] MythMusic Compilation Artist Progress....

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 23 13:23:02 EST 2005

Ian Campbell wrote:
> I guess that in the database the 'compilation' field is currently a
> boolean? Is there anyway that a 'disk artist' could be stored
> aswell/instead. I guess storing it per track would be a little wasteful.

Yeah, that's in there. I call it compilation_artist. I bump the DB
schema up one more notch.

It is a little wasteful storage wise, but I reckon my next task will
split out albums/artists/tracks into separate tables and allow the
storage of further metadata e.g. Artist BIOs & Photos, Album
Reviews/Cover Art etc. I figure putting the images etc. into the DB is
the best method to go forward with as when the DAAP stuff from mfe/mfd
gets finalised, you will be presumable streaming the data via a protocol
rather than direct disk access, so the current album art plugin would
stop working.

> I'm not really a database guy, but perhaps an int. where 0 means not a
> compilation (i.e. disk artist is track artist) and >0 refers to an entry
> in a compilation artist table? (hmm, even track artist could be a intid
> pointing to an 'artists' table, but never mind that).

It is currently a tinyint IIRC, 0 = not compilation 1=compilation. It
can be arranged differntly if I/someone gets round to rejiging the
tables at somepoint.

> The reason I ask is that I have lots of compilation albums which are
> magazine cover disks etc and have them setup as
> 	MAGAZINE - DATE/TRACK-ARTIST-TITLE
> 	Terrorizer - Fear Candy 01/01 - My Dying Bride - My Wine In Silence.ogg
> Similarly for record label promo disks, soundtracks and what have you.

I've made the display of track that are compilations reasonable
flexible, so hopefully that should fit in. For you the MAGAZINE will
basically be COMPILATION_ARTIST.

> I'm not too fussed about changing how I do things (I need to rerip them
> as flac anyway), but thought I'd stick my oar in now while things were
> changing ;-)

I think it all fits :D (phew!).

I'm gonna probably go FLAC too once Rockbox supports my iRiver and
offers FLAC decoding :D

Col.