[mythtv] OpenGL and LibmythUI status

Code Logic codelogic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 02:26:31 EST 2005

> Well, you said that mythuitest didn't work for you?  I'd say the first thing
> would be to fix it. =)

That was a GLX <--> Composite extensions clash. They're quite
incompatible with one another. Disabling the Composite extension
resulted in the app running fine, so there was nothing to fix there :)

> There really isn't a TODO list at this point.  One thing that comes to mind is
> that the current way of caching fonts as an image doesn't hash anything but
> the actual string, which doesn't work if the same string is repeated in a
> different font/style/size/etc on the same screen.

A library like FTGL could be used
(http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/henryj/code/index.html) It decodes
popular font files using freetype2 and can cache/store the data in the
following formats:

    * Bitmaps
    * Anti aliased pixmaps
    * Texture maps
    * Outlines
    * Polygon meshes
    * Extruded polygon meshes

Also, it's decently fast. It's what Blender uses.