[mythtv] Random blockiness that probably isn't CPU or PCI bus bandwidth-related

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Wed Jan 19 22:13:12 EST 2005

Joe Barnhart <joebarnhart at yahoo.com> writes:

> Well... How about Opteron's little brother?  I'm building a backend
> with two PCHD-3000s on a dual Athlon MP board (Tyan Tiger MPX).  It
> has two Athlon MP 2000 processors, but I've considered using my old
> clunky 1200 processors if they can keep up with the demands of two
> HDTV cards. I have a PCHD-2000 in my currently working FE/BE system
> that could be tossed in for extra load.  If they worked together,
> that is. (I've been understandably reluctant to take apart my
> working myth box for this experiment.)

So, the Athlon doesn't have an advantage in the one area that I think
would make the Opteron kick-ass: I/O.  The Opteron has an on-chip
northbridge and its motherboards require optimized system component
interconnects that improve the I/O throughput of the entire system.
There's a great story in Sysadmin magazine from a few months ago
detailing this:

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9408/sam0411b/0411b.htm

The Athlon is no different from a P4 in this respect.

Still, I know that people are successfully using HD-2000's in Athlon
systems, and the MPX is based on the AMD 860 chipset (right?) so it
may not have the same issues as my Nforce2 mobo.  Let me know how it
goes; I can buy an MPX these days for pretty cheap.  I have an old MP
(2450) that recently died for some reason I don't understand, and they
are similar motherboards, and I did like it while it lasted.  In fact,
it was my original Mythbox.

Cheers,
Kyle