[mythtv] RE: MythMusic segfault on empty playlists

Dustin Lucien dustin.lucien at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 10:40:08 EST 2005

Sounds like there's plenty of work in the playlists department, so
I'll just wait-and-see on that one.  Great news.

I've been mucking around with interface ideas for browsing large(r)
collections, trying very hard to keep it remote-friendly (since i
prefer not having to reach for the keyboard if at all possible).  Been
thinking about a tabbed-selection process.  First genres, select from
a list, tab over, navigate a list of artists in genre(s), select
artists, tab over, then album(s), etc.  Allow for multiple selections
within each selection criteria.  Screen displays the intersection of
the selection params.  Different from the current approach in that
currently once you decide to traverse a genre or split artist, you are
committed to that genre or alphabet-range alone (for onscreen display
at least), and you have to travel back up the tree in order to come
back down it.  In this, you'd be able to tab back and forth over
selection criteria to grow or shrink list.  Not huge, since the only
real difference is mutiple selections, but managing screen real estate
gets tricky.  Probably just borrow ideas from iTunes again, using
something similar to the browse functionality with multiple (maybe
regexp?) selections, displaying songs with artist and album name in a
table layout.  I hadn't intended on making any changes to
playlist/music db loading (trying to limit changes), but now that you
mention it, it's probably worth the effort up front.  A picture will
surely explain it all better, so i'll mock one up soon.

I'm in the process of switching jobs right now (reason for dropping
the thread for a few days), but I plan on making this my February
project.  I'll get back with my ideas so you all can kick the tires.
Plus, I'm still very new to Qt, so i'm in the steep part of the
learning curve.

thanks for the status updates,

Dustin