[mythtv] RE: MythMusic segfault on empty playlists

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 16 07:17:05 EST 2005

Paul wrote:
> I am currently working on a Smart Playlists patch for MythMusic.
> Not sure how Smart playlists work in iTunes, never used it, but
> my patch allows you to create playlists that are dynamically created
> by running a query on the musicmetadata table. It's almost finished just
> needs cleaning up a bit and testing. It really needs to go into cvs after
> the
> compilation artist patch if it is accepted.

Nice! Been wanting this for ages. Although I've not used it, there was
an iRiver thingy for windows that did regexp playlists.
http://tdt.sourceforge.net/tdt.htm

My mate (also a techie) quite liked it's functionality, so it may be
worth looking at if you still need some inspiration (tho' you may be
done by now!)

I presume it uses the REGEXP syntax in mysql? Ach, I'm just wasting time
asking questions... I can wait and see. I'm just curious!!

I'll try and get the CA stuff ready for CVS ASAP.

> The only other development regarding MythMusic I know of is the
> compilation artist patch by Colin which he sent to the dev list a few
> day ago. See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/101966
> for more details.

Yup. I'm now back from my holidays (Snowboarding in Avoriaz if anyone
cares - it was, in a word, "awesome").

> What I and I think many other people would love to see is a better way
> to browse though large music collections than the current playlist selection
> screen. Not sure what form it should take though.

Yeah, I agree. I'd like to see some form of integrated album/artist
searching thing with coverart and bios etc.

> I would love to remove the need to load the entire music database into
> memory when mythmusic starts. Not easy to do without making drastic
> changes to the way MythMusic works.

Yeah this would be a bitch to do I reckon. If an album/artist browser
was created, then perhaps this would avoid the need to load the whole tree??

> Make it possible to find and download cover art from the web. Possibly
> also download lyrics and artist profiles etc.

I've been looking at a program called Prokyon3. I compiled it up and let
it run for about a week on my collection (and it's still not finished).

It downloads cover art, lyrics and artists pics, as well as album
reviews and artist bios. Very neat from the metadata persepctive. It
uses a system called MusicExtras.

I was considering working on grabbing this extra data once I've finished
off the compilation artist stuff.

I reckon it can be a separate contrib program that is run on the server
(or anywhere really) that just inserts the data into the database and
then a few hooks can be put into MythMusic itself to display the data
when it's available.

Let me know the level of support for this functionality (and structure)
and that may encourage me a little!

Oh and I'll try to tidy up and finish off my compilation artist stuff
today (depending on time) and post it to the list. It should be fairly
close to CVS quality I think. Paul gave me some feedback about it, so
I'll see if I can incorparate some of his stuff into a separate fixmeup
type script or something too.

Take care.

Col