[mythtv] developing mythtv

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at mrl.nyu.edu
Sun Jan 16 11:43:44 EST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Chi Owunwanne wrote:
]I'm a college student new to mythtv (start of dec) and wish to help
]make it better. i want to add some features into mythtv especailly
]myth video. I'd imagine there aren't any design docs, but i thought i
]would ask anyways.
Read the mailing list archives, or search them for what you are
interested in. If it's complicated it will probably have been described
on the mailing list.

]I noticed a .proj in the CVS tree , but it didn't open in Visual Studio
]2003.
There should be no .proj files in the tree, what you probably saw were
the .pro files, which qmake uses to create the Makefile which make uses
to compile the program.

]What IDE do you guys code in?
No one really uses an IDE that I know of. I use emacs, which I've
configured to highlight, indent, and compile the code. But I usually
debug on the command line with gdb. I use kdbg if I really need a
graphical debugger, like when I need to inspect many variables at a
glance.

]Is there any documentation at all available about the architecture of
]mythtv?
The mailing list is your friend. No one has yet gone through and
collected all the information into one coherent document, but you can
search the mailing list archives online, which is almost as good.

-- Daniel