[mythtv] pchdtv help

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Thu Jan 13 15:29:57 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:01:29AM -0700, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> If mythfrontend hangs it's usually because you are trying to tune to a
> channel that does not have high enough signal to be read, or an
> incorrect subchannel.  It could be software also.. I personally would
> recommend getting the newest version of CVS myth and try that.  A lot of
> changes have been made and if the old version doesn't work, it may not
> hurt to try the newest version.
>
> Also, if the frontend does hang, you need to kill the backend off and
> run the setup program and set the channel for the hdtv card to one that
> you *know* works.  Start the backend and frontend again and try live tv.
> Do you have any problems with recording and watching shows?  Also, be
> careful of XvMC, it doesn't like seeking right now.

This happens to me all the time and I have not needed to kill the backend.
Once the frontend is dead, you just use the "dtvsignal" command that
comes with the pchdtv card to set it to a valid channel.

"dtvsignal /dev/dtv nn" where nn is your strongest channel will do it.
By and large, until you get weak channels missing, you have to leave
the marginal channels out of your signal list, though it is amusing
to tell stories of how your software crashes depending on the wind
blowing the wrong way.  :-)