AC3 in Australia (Was Re: [mythtv] DVB 3.4 report)

Richard Dale richard at interlink.com.au
Mon Jan 10 09:59:19 EST 2005

G'day world.

> I'm an Australian living over in the US, and we see the same things with
AC3
> sound as you do - a lot of the programs are AC3 encoded, but with only two

> channels, setting off the ProLogic decoder. The AC3 standard allows for 1
> 5.1 channels (plus whatever DD-EX attempts to do with rear channel(s)) so
> don't be too alarmed. I've only ever seen one genuine 5.1 program over
here,
> and that was a HDTV PBS recording of of some of Strauss's operatic works.

For what it's worth, ABC TV broadcasted a 1985 outdoor Midnight Oil concert
at the Sydney Opera house on Standard Definition TV with AC3 5.1 sound.  Yes
- AC3 5.1 on SDTV.
http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=58&newsID=505&display=news

Usually it's standard AC3 2.0 on SDTV.

> I'm planning on returning to Oz this year, what Australian HDTV card do
you
> recommend?

Right now the DVICO Fusion HDTV card seems to be pretty good but leave your
decision until you get back.  Rough cost is AUD$180-$200.  It's all a bit
"bleeding edge" at the moment.

Cheers,
Richard.