AC3 in Australia (Was Re: [mythtv] DVB 3.4 report)

Stephen Hocking shocking at
Mon Jan 10 08:45:49 EST 2005

I'm an Australian living over in the US, and we see the same things with AC3
sound as you do - a lot of the programs are AC3 encoded, but with only two
channels, setting off the ProLogic decoder. The AC3 standard allows for 1 to
5.1 channels (plus whatever DD-EX attempts to do with rear channel(s)) so
don't be too alarmed. I've only ever seen one genuine 5.1 program over here,
and that was a HDTV PBS recording of of some of Strauss's operatic works.

I'm planning on returning to Oz this year, what Australian HDTV card do you

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return"		W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"