AC3 in Australia (Was Re: [mythtv] DVB 3.4 report)

Tj htpc at treblid.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 7 02:54:48 EST 2005

Mark Anderson wrote:

>nly got back onto it last night after a week away camping and wake
>boarding.
>
>I am basically back at where we left off last year with big dvb 3.2. The
>problems as they stand:
>
>1. I don't really understand what the changes to mpeg.c do, it should work
>without them but doesn't.

I'm not sure but I think Marcus may have fixed this in transport.c..
Will try his code once (if) I get 10.1 Official installed and myth
working later today.

If you're at home now, try his patch and restore mpeg.c and see if you
got DD.

>2. Still can't change between stream types AC3->PCM or PCM->AC3, I am tracking
>this one down and understand why it is happening, just need to work out how
>to fix it. Streams from the previous channel are still in the list of
>available streams and so it chooses it instead of the correct one. Need to
>clear them out when the channels change.

Ah!! So that's the problem, what files and functions are you looking at?

>3. The biggest problem is that the audio stutters every 5-10 seconds, my
>decoder only displays "Dolby digital..." when the stream first starts and I
>see this displayed when it stutters. I'd be interested to see if it happens
>for anyone else to eliminiate my setup.

I only tested it for like 10 seconds on my amp. When I use an AC3 APID,
the dolby digital signal lights up, but the decoder used is still dolby
pro logic II (presumably becoz the audio is 2ch, but from what I read
you can still use pro logic II for surround effects). I did a recording
of CSI (which is supposedly surround sound), but the same thing still
happens. Like you, I also got audio stutter, and wierd audio
positioning. The problem of that stutter I suspect is due to the hacked
mpeg.c (Probably not all private streams packets are AC3 audio, but the
hacked mpeg.c treats every private stream as such)..

Anyway, will learn more tonight.