AC3 in Australia (Was Re: [mythtv] DVB 3.4 report)

Mark Anderson markjanderson at mail.com
Fri Jan 7 02:34:18 EST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 06:21 pm, Tj wrote:
> Mark Anderson wrote:
> > If you are interested I can post a patch that will get AC3 partially
> > working
> >
> >on big dvb 3.4. I am planning to spend some time over the weekend to try
> > and get it working properly.
>
> How far did you get AC3 working? Am interested in your patch.

I only got back onto it last night after a week away camping and wake
boarding.

I am basically back at where we left off last year with big dvb 3.2. The
problems as they stand:

1. I don't really understand what the changes to mpeg.c do, it should work
without them but doesn't.

2. Still can't change between stream types AC3->PCM or PCM->AC3, I am tracking
this one down and understand why it is happening, just need to work out how
to fix it. Streams from the previous channel are still in the list of
available streams and so it chooses it instead of the correct one. Need to
clear them out when the channels change.

3. The biggest problem is that the audio stutters every 5-10 seconds, my
decoder only displays "Dolby digital..." when the stream first starts and I
see this displayed when it stutters. I'd be interested to see if it happens
for anyone else to eliminiate my setup.

> I havn't played much with this since I came back from my X'mas break....
> But I brought an amplifer (Denon AVR-1404) during the trip (it's much
> cheaper than I thought in asia, and I brought the 2nd cheapest model I
> could find).
>
> Will reinstall my myth box with Mandrake 10.1 Official and rebuild Myth
> with DVB 3.4 this weekend..Will also install Windows to see how it
> handles AC3 content.
>
> So in a sense I am finally crossing over from software AC3 decoding
> (Hope I didn't make an expensive mistake).

I am still playing with a few things so I'll post the patch later tonight, or
sometime over the weekend.

Cheers,
Mark