[mythtv] Help Writing MythTV Plugin

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Jan 4 15:27:38 EST 2005

Evan Klinger wrote:

> Good morning. I did not receive any reply to my MythTV plugin
> question, so I am resending it in hopes that someone who knows more
> about the internals of MythTV will be able to lend a helping hand.
>
> I am writing a MythUpdate module to periodically check for newer
> versions of MythTV and then download and install them. However, I
> cannot figure out how to make my plugin run in the background, as it
> does not have any UI. I've tried making my plugin inherit QThread and
> running it that way, I've tried putting the plugin to sleep() for the
> idle times between updates but alas nothing seems to work - my plugin
> always remains in the front of other plugins, or at least I cannot
> figure out how to bring back the main Myth menu. I'm currently running
> the plugin through mythfrontend by using "mythfrontend mythupdate."
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked more at the housekeeping thread of the backend?  Perhaps
this would be simpler as a housekeeping thread rather than a plugin.  It
doesn't seem that this is a "Plugin" in the true sense of the
architecture for MythTV which is for user visible frontend processes.
Also, how do you address the issues related to multiple Linux
distributions or even OS versions of the software?  What are you
checking to see that a new version is available?

Just some thoughts,
Kevin