[mythtv] [patch] Updating channum for HDTV

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Mon Jan 3 15:25:19 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:37:05PM -0600, Ashley Clark wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2005, at 5:04 PM, Doug Larrick wrote:
>
> >The attached simple patch uses the HDTV-style channum for HDTV
> >channels (<major>_<minor>, rather than just the channel number, when
> >updating an existing channel from DataDirect.
> I have a problem with this new patch. The guide information is
> incorrect for one of my stations here and this keeps changing the
> freqid for that station to an incorrect value. DataDirect has it listed
> as 27-2 but the broadcast is on 27-1 and there is no 27-2.
>
> Does anybody know who to contact about this discrepancy. I can't seem
> to get any response from the DataDirect people about problems like
> this.
>
> Ashley Clark

It's the tv station that is giving incorrect data out.
I hit a huge problem when the olympics came on and it was a mess.  Unless
you're lucky, the chance of getting any quick reponse from a station is
impossible.  I have one station that displays a black screen displaying their
channel, subchannel and station ID 95% of the time and has program
information identical to their second subchannel, which is the ntsc
broadcast.  I've tried everything to get them to fix their data - From
being nice to not being nice.  Still now, 8 months later it's still this
way.  I've talked with 3 stations on various issues and reporting the
guide data is often given to someone who does this as an extra task and
they cut as many corners as possible so it takes less time.  The
engineers know what's going on, but they don't have anything to do with
the guide data.

The best chance you have is to call from various numbers and/or have
other people call in and report the problem.  If they get enough people
complaining ( more than 5) it usually will start to move from months to
weeks to getting it fixed.  Report it a couple of times to the person
who handles this, report it to their secretary, report it to the main
station receptionist, and so on.  If enough complaints come from various
departments you're more likely to get them to fix it.. but don't go
overboard right off.  Hopefully you'll have better luck. :)

The most zap2it can do is call and complain,
which I'm fairly sure the person(s) doing this have more than they can
handle.

--Brandon