[mythtv] PCHDTV + DVB Integration / DTVRecorder RingBuffer Reversion Request

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 3 13:48:54 EST 2005

> Where do you get the impression that PSIP guide data in the US will
> suddenly be accurate and persistent across the board once Broadcast Flag
> goes active?  Broadcast Flag is in PSIP, yes, but is a very small part
> of it.  Some stations don't implement the EIT/ETT text tables at all;
> still others implement canned data, which consists of 3-hour shows
> entitled "HD Programming."  One of my channels, last I checked, was
> broadcasting PSIP from 3 months ago.  None of this is going to magically
> change come July.

http://www.linxelectronics.com/products/tvlinx/downloads/tvlinx_pressrelease.pdf

I also never said that the data would be accurate.. I have 1 channel here that
has stopped sending anything on the 0x1FFB PID for about 2 weeks now.. I have
another that sends Certain EITs and certain ETTs but they don't overlap
properly so you never get the ETTs you are expecting..  But adding channels to
a database driven by the Internet scares me.. The channels should be fuzzy
matched to what the OTA stream says is present.. I have virtual channels added
and removed all the time.. In addition to that the Guide I can get for OTA HDTV
in my market is all wrong except for 1 station that I get good PSIP from
anyway.. Mixing and matching is the right way to do it, and is planned as
well..

This will make sense when I put the DVB Code into myth-cvs.. I am going to just
put in what I have in a day or two since Issac already told me on IRC I have no
room to complain, which is is most correct.. I guess I had a different
impression of how CVS should be used for a project like this.. I also have been
looking at all of Daniels code, and being sure to read anything related to ATSC
and the PCHDTV card the whole time I have been developing this code..

> ...which is also a good place to grab PSIP guide data and use it to
> supplement what's already present.  Sounds nice.  But short of reading
> your patches, how am I to have known of its existence?  When working on
> changes of large magnitude in the past, I have posted design proposals
> to this list and gotten good feedback; this also serves to keep other
> developers up to date, helping to prevent trodden toes. MythTV-dev is
> low volume (at least compared to -users); no reason to be shy about
> posting to it.

I have posted proposals and gotten little to no feedback here, guess it just
depends on whos reading and who cares.. Usuaully when DVB is mentioned I have a
feeling no one in North America even reads the posts.. Maybe I am wrong..