[mythtv] Stand-alone mythcommflag / transcode

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Thu Feb 24 15:15:06 UTC 2005

mythtv-dev-bounces at mythtv.org <> scribbled on Thursday, February 24,
2005 4:53 AM:
> Sitting here in my computer room, I realized that even with all the
> myth-dedicated hardware in the room, the machines with the most
> horsepower aren't even being used for myth. In the evening that's not
> a big deal, since they are in use. However, late night and all
> throughout the day, there's a lot more that could be done. All of us
> have at least (1) windows box in our networks somewhere....
>
> Which led me to thinking...
>
> --- the WinMyth project seems to be doing fairly well
Haven't tried it, but it uses the windows codecs/filters i coded.

> -- mysql support for Win32 is good
> -- it's fair to say any codec available for  linux is
> available on win32.

rtjpeg is a "maybe".

> Foundational things like SMB access to a share containing the .nuv
> files would be a preq, as would MySQL libraries, and installed codecs.

If you are only going to handle the .nuv files created by mythtv you don't
need smb.
The mythtv protocol will work just fine.

> Heck, take it one step further. It would be great to have the same
> thing for *nix. Right now you have to do a full install of mythbackend
> just to get commercial flagging on a 2nd/3rd/etc machine.
>

> Anyway, just kinda thinking out loud. At least in my case, I could add
> 3-4 more machines to my job queue, which would bring up some fun
> possibilies.

I don't do any transcoding and for commercial flagging available cpu power
is not a problem for me.