[mythtv] Stand-alone mythcommflag / transcode

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Feb 24 04:40:09 UTC 2005

> Has anyone given any  thought to a stand-alone program on Win32 that
> could check the job queue, and handle jobs, IE transcoding or
> commercial flagging? JobQueueLite?

If you can get mythjobqueue and mythcommflag compiled on Windows (which
implies libmyth and libmythtv) then you can flag commercials.  Transcoding
would require getting mythtranscode compiled, but that should be fairly
easy once you have the other two programs.

> Heck, take it one step further. It would be great to have the same
> thing for *nix. Right now you have to do a full install of mythbackend
> just to get commercial flagging on a 2nd/3rd/etc machine.

This hasn't been true for a while.  That's the purpose of the
mythjobqueue executable.  It is a simple standlone program that
scans the JobQueue for jobs and runs them (if you ran the backend setup
program and turned on the settings to allow that host to run jobs).

> Anyway, just kinda thinking out loud. At least in my case, I could add
> 3-4 more machines to my job queue, which would bring up some fun
> possibilies.

I do this all the time.  I'll startup mythjobqueue on my development
machine talking to my production database in order to test commercial
flagging or reflag a bunch of shows real quick, etc..  You could startup
a mythjobqueue executable on your frontends if you wanted and have them
process commercial flagging jobs, etc..  I plan on adding a new feature
to the queue sometime soon to allow you to set a job processing time
window on a per-machine basis.  So if you only wanted a machine to be
able to run jobs from say 1am (when you went to bed) till 6pm (when you
got home from work), then you could setup the queue that way.  So all
jobs would queue up and wait if there were no hosts available to run them,
then when 1am rolled around, the backlogged jobs would start firing off
normally.

--

Chris