[mythtv] MythSOAP Expressions Of Interest

Adam Jenkins ajenkins at infocomp.com
Mon Feb 21 02:35:09 UTC 2005

Good points.  I'd love to hear your thoughts in regards to these issues as
I'm still lacking in knowledge.

>>this would move to _requiring_ the backend to be running
Would that be only if they wanted to use the integration (SOAP) layer, or
all the time?

>>my concern is that SOAP (like anything using XML) adds a lot of
>>size + parsing complexity

In regards to parsing complexity, do you mean development or during runtime?
As most SOAP binding systems these days are designed to be reasonably
transparent to the implementing system, development time is relatively
trivial (just supply a WSDL file and binding points).  In regards to runtime
parsing, the soap toolkit from apache has acheived some really good
benchmarks (they've upgrade to SAX).

With respect to size, are you talking memory footprint or actual deployment
size?  Would making it an optional module would help here?