[mythtv] Backtrace: possible bug in dvbsignal monitor

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Sat Feb 19 17:38:34 UTC 2005

> Wow, seems like you have a very unstable system with segfaults all
> over the place. Really sorry to hear that - I haven't had a segfault
> in ages, and I don't know what could be causing this. :-(

Indeed...  The annoying thing is that it was almost completely stable
before, (except for the recurring segfault on the occasional program
preview.)

I may be wrong that it was due to the dvbsignal monitor of course.
However, the backend is dying quite easily and possibly for multiple
reasons.  I think I have seen it loose signal suddenly for example and
lock up.

More annoying though is that before when the backend died, the frontend
used to popup a box to that effect and continue happily.  Now it pops up
the box, but then pretty much hangs, the gui goes away, but it doesn't
actually terminate the process so even my daemontools monitor doesn't
know to restart it...

Needless to say it's killing usability that I need to keep pulling out a
keyboard every few hours and start killing processes.  However, I like
some of the new features in the new DVB code so I am prepared to
persevere and track these down, but I could certainly do with a bit of
help where possible in interpreting these backtraces.  For example there
are a couple I posted recently that perhaps you might have a bit of an
idea about (perhaps)

Thanks for looking

Ed W