[mythtv] HDTV Reception (was: DVB Driver for the pcHDTV HD-3000)

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Feb 2 21:00:06 EST 2005

>> 	Yagi's wide enough for all your channels... or do you only get one or
>> two contiguous?
>
> I get every channel broadcast out of Seattle, as well as a few others from
> nearby areas (FOX comes in fine from a hilltop across the Puget Sound from
> Seattle and I pick up a few channels out of Bellevue).

 	Wide enough bandwidth is what I meant.  Basically yagis work best
at a fairly narrow bandwidth.  They'll work well for a channel or two, but
too far different channels won't work as well.

>> Yagi's don't have a very wide bandwidth but they can have good gain.
>
> This one certainly does well on gain. I honestly haven't a clue what impact
> not having very wide bandwidth has. Are you basically saying they aren't very
> good at omni-directional reception? That's certainly true with this one, a
> few degrees can make a big difference in signal quality. Fortunately,
> everything I care about is within 304 to 307 degrees from me.

 	Remember that antenna "gain" is defined as a ratio of signal
strenth to that of an isotropic radiator.  That pretty much means it *has*
to be directional.  If you've got stations in different directions, that's
a problem, but for you they're apparently all in the same direction.

>> Amp as close to the antenna as possible?
>
> There's some component of it that attaches to the antenna mast itself, so
> there's maybe 6 to 12 inches of cable from the antenna to that, then the
> other portion sits inside the house right where the connection comes inside.

 	Maybe an amp on the mast with power injector inside the house?  A
pretty good way to go.

>> SNR's, noise figures, and LNAs bringing back horrible undergrad
>> calculation memories... :)
>
> Ooohh, sounds fun... ;-)

 	Right.... :)

>> P-shaw!  Try living in Juneau (or worse yet, Ketchikan), AK! People up
>> there go to Seattle to dry out... :)
>
> Yeah, I have a few college buddies from Juneau and Anchorage who have some
> stories...

 	I've never lived in Anchorage, but Juneau's definately quite
"moist."

-Cory