[mythtv] HDTV Reception (was: DVB Driver for the pcHDTV HD-3000)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Feb 2 20:29:38 EST 2005

On Feb 2, 2005, at 04:10, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>> A 6-footer is squat. You still have plenty of room for improvement in
>> the
>> antenna area. For example, I have a 12ft yagi boom antenna on my
>> rooftop with
>
> 	Yagi's wide enough for all your channels... or do you only get one or
> two contiguous?

I get every channel broadcast out of Seattle, as well as a few others
from nearby areas (FOX comes in fine from a hilltop across the Puget
Sound from Seattle and I pick up a few channels out of Bellevue).

> Yagi's don't have a very wide bandwidth but they can have good gain.

This one certainly does well on gain. I honestly haven't a clue what
impact not having very wide bandwidth has. Are you basically saying
they aren't very good at omni-directional reception? That's certainly
true with this one, a few degrees can make a big difference in signal
quality. Fortunately, everything I care about is within 304 to 307
degrees from me.

> Amp as close to the antenna as possible?

There's some component of it that attaches to the antenna mast itself,
so there's maybe 6 to 12 inches of cable from the antenna to that, then
the other portion sits inside the house right where the connection
comes inside.

> SNR's, noise figures, and LNAs bringing back horrible undergrad
> calculation memories... :)

Ooohh, sounds fun... ;-)

>> quite nicely now, even in less-than-stellar weather conditions
>> (Seattle
>> area).
>
> P-shaw!  Try living in Juneau (or worse yet, Ketchikan), AK! People up
> there go to Seattle to dry out... :)

Yeah, I have a few college buddies from Juneau and Anchorage who have
some stories...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jarod at wilsonet.com