[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] Ticket #857: Patch to mythrename.pl to work correctly with slave backends

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Dec 23 16:36:31 EST 2005

Tom Lichti wrote:

> Also, on your posted patch, how did you get the filenames the way you 
> did? Mine seems convoluted compared to yours. I'm referring to this part:
> Index: contrib/mythrename.pl
> ===================================================================
> --- contrib/mythrename.pl    (revision 8364)
> +++ contrib/mythrename.pl    (working copy)
> I assume you are using a local SVN repo?


Checked out with:

$ svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythtv

Then edited contrib/mythrename.pl with:

$ cd mythtv
$ vi contrib/mythrename.pl

(of course ;) and created the patch (from the mythtv directory) with:

$ svn diff > ../mythrename-locally_accessible_files.patch

Technically, I checked out when Myth switched to SVN many months ago and 
last night I just updated with an "svn update", but the point's the 
same.  Note, though, that "svn diff" without arguments will find all 
differences between your working copy and the revision of the repository 
you checked out, so if you edit any other files, you should specify 
which files you want to diff or work in a clean repository.  (See "svn 
update --help" for more info.)

I choose the latter approach:  I "rm -rf" the entire source tree and 
untar my most recent checkout (keep reading) then "svn up" it and 
immediately create a tar.bz2 for next time.  That way, I always have a 
tar.bz2 with a "pristine" checkout of the Myth source.  My way does 
involve rebuilding everything every time I update, but that just means I 
can ignore all the "must do a make clean" messages in the commits list 
(and I never get bit by the "oh, I didn't see that I needed to do a 
'make clean'" type of errors, which can waste a lot more of my time 
and--more importantly--the developers' time than rebuilding the whole 
app--especially since it's not really my time but the CPU's time I'm 

Ignore anything you already know.  Figured too complete was better than 
not enough.


My update and tar "script."  I untar  the previous checkout into my 
working directory and from that directory (the one containing the 
mythtv, mythplugins, and myththemes directory):
echo Last Updated: `date` > mythtv-update.log &&
( svn update mythtv mythplugins myththemes 2>&1 | tee -a 
mythtv-update.log &&
  exit $PIPESTATUS ) &&
tar cjf ../myth-`date +'%Y%m%d'`.tar.bz2 *
This gives me a nice record of when I updated and what revision I have 
as well as a list of files which changed since my last update, and the 
record is stored in the tar.bz2 so it doesn't get lost.  Also, by 
updating all three on the same command line, I don't have to worry about 
getting a different version of mythtv and mythplugins or something.

More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list