[mythtv] DVB channel won't scan

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Tue Apr 26 14:43:31 UTC 2005

>>What is a good combination of pcHDTV DVB and ivtv drivers?
>

> I'm using dvb cvs code from around the beginning of March with a v4l snap of
> roughly the same vintage and tracking the very latest ivtv dev releases (all
> of which have pretty must just worked since roughly 0.3.2e-ish for me on
> several systems). No problems for a box with an HD-2000, PVR-350 and PVR-500.
> The same dvb code works great in another box with an HD-3000, haven't tried
> adding an ivtv card to the mix on that one just yet...

/me takes breath.

Okay.  I did the conversion last night between 7:30 and about 9:30, with
some frantic starting/stopping of mythbackend during commercial breaks
in 24. :)  Starting around 9:30, I was able to watch the high-def feed
without interruption.  Quite corking.

I used the latest ivtv at the time (0.3.3m) and the pcHDTV HD-3000 DVB
driver in Linux-2.6.11.7.  Had zero problems getting the drivers to work
together: everything just worked magically.  Getting signal on the
HD-3000 card was trivial: azap worked on the very first try.

There are two outstanding issues with this combination:

(1) When changing channels in live TV, often the backend will endlessly
report "Transport Stream Continuity Error" until I quit live TV and
re-enter.  Annoying, but not fatal.

(2) The conversion of (and, in fact, any initial setup of) the channels
was way too difficult.  I had to manually move xmltvid's over,
presumably because the transport scan and zap2it didn't agree on what to
call the channels.  I ended up with two disjoint sets of channels on
that input, and had to move the xmltvid's over from one set and then
delete it.  I'm really hoping I did this wrong, because this is
butt-fugly and would make anyone not familiar with SQL give up very quickly.

Unfortunately, it's not clear there's an easy way to solve this problem,
because not even the callsigns match up exactly between the two sets of
programming data.  Ugg.

Otherwise, kudos.  Not clear whether it was easier to get going because
I lived through the V4L experience, or because it's just easier.

Cheers,
Kyle