[mythtv] XVideo XvMC VLD broken

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Mon Apr 25 22:40:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 23:00 +0100, Terry Barnaby wrote:

> > I don't think there is an issue with closing and re-opening the
> > context in XvMC VLD. So I am note sure your channel change
> > system will affect the problem.
> >
> > There appears to be a more fundemental problem in avcodec after
> > a channel change.
> > The XVMC_VLD_field_end() function is continuely called without
> > any XVMC_VLD_field_start() calls. It appears that avcodec is
> > trying to decode garbage ....
Hmm, do you know who wrote the VLD part of avcodec?

> If the DVB-T frond end is set to PS rather than TS mode then
> the channel change happens and XvMC VLD carries along quite happily
> without any "This context does not own decoder!" messages.
> The Vido output does fall over with a " Timed out waiting for free
> video buffers" after a bit though.
> There are other MythTv issues with av_remove_stream() could this
> be something to do with the problem ....
Well we're not calling av_remove_stream right now, we just create a
new decoder in avformatdecoder and leak a some memory. This was a
quick-n-dirty fix for some DVB channel changing problems, I plan to
fix this when I change the channel change behaviour. It probably
makes sense to hold off any VLD changes until the MythTV behaviour
is fixed. Gimme a week or so.

-- Daniel