[mythtv] Bug? HD-3000 DVB driver timestamps

Wed Apr 20 15:48:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Chris Edwards wrote:

> * John Patrick Poet (john at BlueSkyTours.com) wrote:
> >
> > I switching from the V4L2 HD-3000 drivers to the DVB HD-3000 drivers on
> > Wednesday, 13 Apr 05.  While they seem to work fine, commercial flagging
> > suddenly seemed broken.
> >
> > At first I assumed that some change had been made to the commercial
> > flagging code, but then I noticed that a show which should have a length
> > of 1h 1m, was indicating that it was 1h 5m long.  The commercial
> > flagging was consistantly off in the same way -- the begin marker was
> > always a bit before the actual commercial, and the end marker was always
> > a a bit before the show started up again.  The amount of time between
> > the detected commercial marker, and where it should have been, grows as
> > the position in the show increases.
>
> I had the same problem, with a DVB card. I fixed it a couple of days ago
> by making it record in TS mode. Now it works beautifully. My guess is
> the conversion from TS->PS screws something up. It also presents itself
> as a jump when pausing and unpausing.
>
> Chris

Interesting.  I guess I could give that a try.

I prefer PS mode because two of my channels have a lot of garbage on them.
For example, one of my stations broadcasts SIX different "channels" in the
same TS stream:

    Program 18: 99-9 HGTV:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
    Program 15: 99-6 FOOD:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
    Program 12: 99-3 ESPN2:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
    Program 11: 99-2 ESPN:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
    Program 10: 99-1 USDTV:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
        Unknown (0x0b)
        Unknown (0x0b)
    Program 2: 50-1 KASY-DT:
        Video (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Audio (Dolby AC-3), language = eng
        Audio (MPEG-2), language = eng
        Unknown (0x0b)

I think for now, I will stick with the V4L2 drivers.  The only reason I
wanted to "upgrade" to the DVB driver, was so I could upgrade to the latest
kernel.  I have been unable to get Myth to accept the V4L2 drivers for the
2.6.11 kernel -- it claims their are no inputs, even though the driver seems
to be working fine.

I get the impression that the V4L2 HD-x000 drivers are going to stop being
supported.  Otherwise, I would probably investigate why Myth does not like
the latest drivers.

Thank you for the information.

John