[mythtv] mfd RSTP

Geoffrey Kruse gkruse at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 14:53:52 UTC 2005

> On Wednesday 13 April 2005 03:26 am, Geoffrey Kruse wrote:
>
>> 1)  Tried to connect to rstp://itchy/2346 in quicktime player on my
>> mac
>> (claims to support rstp)
>>  503 could not connect
>
>  I've yet to get Quicktime Player to connect to it. I'll try and debug
> it at
> some point, but I've read on LiveMedia mailing lists that there are
> some
> issues with Quicktime.
>

>> 2)  Tried to connect to rstp://itchy/2346 in vlc on my mac
>
>  Works fine here on my mac with vlc 0.8.1. Are you sure you're giving
> it the
> correct URL:   rtsp://hostname:2346/    ?

A little more tinkering and I got it to work.  Turns out I have itchy
mapped to the external ip address of my router with ports forwarded
under NAT.  When I point vlc to rtsp://10.0.1.3:2346 it works like a
charm.  The sync of multiple sets of speakers is pretty amazing!

On another note, what format is the sound mfd is sending over the wire?
  It seems to use quite a bit more bandwidth than my airport express.
Would it be possible to use a reduced quality and have a lower bitrate?

Once I did finally get vlc pointed to the right place, I did
occasionally have some trouble with it getting confused.  Mostly when
it had been playing for around an hour, it would start stuttering and
would not resume smooth playback unless I restarted mfd and vlc.
Otherwise sometimes in vlc on the mac, when trying to connect I would
get sometimes get no sound and all of the buttons would flash between
disabled and enabled.

Lastly, I can't wait for the "speakers" part of this.  I  might have
some spare time to play around with this in the next couple of weeks, I
think iTunes integration is high on my list of awesome things I could
do with this.

Geoff