[mythtv] mythtranscode and "commflagged"

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 05:07:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:40:33AM -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > 	- I have my show set to be auto-commflagged after recording.
> > 	This sets the "commflagged" value for the show in the
>
> Uh huh.
>
> > 	- Next, in "Watch Recordings", I pick the show and start
> > 	transcoding with the "Job Options" popup menu. Transcoding
>
> Yep.
>
> > 	  But if I try to skip commercials when playing back the
> > 	  recording, the OSD says "not flagged".
>
> The "not flagged" message is displayed when there are no commercial
> flag markers in the recordedmarkup table.  This is because the
> transcoder removes them when it transcodes if you apply a cutlist.
> You actualy found a couple bugs, this is the first one.  The code
> that schedules the transcode from the popup menu doesn't check to
> see if a cutlist exist, it just tells the transcoder to apply the
> cutlist.  Whenever the jobqueue transcoder routine tells
> mythtranscode to apply the cutlist, it also clears the markup table,
> so this triggers your "not flagged" message.
>
> I think I have a fix for this, but need to test it a little and I
> won't be able to get to that tonight.
>
> > Should mythtranscode be clearing the "commflagged" value of a
> > transcoded show, or is recording playback not quite working with
> > commercial-skip on a transcoded recording?
>
> Yes, this is another bug.  The commflagged field should be reset
> back to 0 whenever the cutlist is applied.  I'll fix this when I
> test the other patch above.

In mythtv-setup there is a "Job Queue (Global)" option to "Run
Transcode Jobs before Auto-Commercial Flagging". This bug kind of
means that if auto-transcoding is turned on in some recording profile,
then transcode jobs should run *first* (any commercial flagging would
otherwise be rendered unusable by the following transcode job).

Ignoring the above-described bug for the moment, what is the expected
use case for this option? Is the intended design that commercial
flagging be orthogonal to transcoding (e.g., commercial markup table
generated for some recording can be re-used on a transcoded version of
the recording if no cutlist was applied)?

I don't understand the tradeoffs associated with this option. Is this
intended to allow people to watch a commercial-free recording ASAP,
and just let the transcoding run concurrently/afterwards for archival
purposes, vs. disk-constrained systems that need to free up disk space
ASAP, and then leisurely run commflag afterwards?

Thanks,
--Rob