[mythtv] What is the best way to implement overlapping recordings on one channel?

Andrew Mahone andrew.mahone at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 06:26:50 UTC 2005

On Apr 2, 2005 11:52 AM, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> Woahhh!  This could use heaps more disk than you would like.
>
> Imagine you record the Sunday movie, followed by the Sunday Formula
> one!  Thats a whole 5+ hours of data (i.e. 15Gig for SD) and I would
> leave the movie on the disk until I get around to watching it whilst I
> would watch the F1 within a day or less.
>
> If this is the easiest way for now, I am happy, but I doubt it would
> be an ideal ending to the situation.
>
> Dave

If the cutpoints for the sub-recordings are keyframe boundaries,
deleting the second one is trivial (truncate), and the first is nearly
trivial (write header and frames from cutpoint on to new file, move
over old, needs only time to shove the bits around).  The other option
of duplicating GOPs in the overlap to two files is less space-optimal
if the user wants to keep both recordings for an extended period -
perhaps we could do it both ways and let the user decide which they
prefer?
--
Andrew Mahone
andrew DOT mahone AT gmail DOT com